HILEYBOY

My photo
Leeds, west yorkshire, United Kingdom
I'm currently on a worldwide trip seeing some of the most amazing places in the world, meeting some of the greatest people there is to meet and trying to be the best that i can be and use the little i have to help others and make a difference

Welcome to my blog

Keep checking up for all my relevant, or not so relevant news pics and info. Keep in touch by leaving your comments or by emailing hileyboy@yahoo.com

Check out my book of face

Ian Hiley's Facebook profile

Tuesday 26 February 2008

Time travel

Arrived at Auckland airport on monday evening and said my goodbye's to Steve and Emily before i started my mammoth journey to Lima Peru where i would arrive Tuesday afternoon after connecting through Los Angeles and San Salvador in El Salvador.

The first stretch of the journey went off without a hitch and i arrived in Los Angeles about 8 hours before i left Auckland but i have to say time travel is not as exciting as it sounds. Had 12 hours to kill in LA so after sending my bags through to the connecting flight i headed out to the beach at Santa Monica and spent the day around there and enjoyed the sights and crazy feel from Venice and Muscle beach. Santa Monica is quite a posh area not too far from Beverly Hills but i was shocked to see so many homeless people just lying around the beach and the grassed areas around the beach. Although it was beautifully sunny it wasnt really hot and there was such a mix of people from the guys working out on muscle beach and sunbathing to those wrapped in coats and jumpers. Millions of skaters were around and as i walked down to Venice beach i enjoyed looking around the market stalls and street sellers and performers, a very interesting place kind of like Peckham high street, Brighton Pier and Covent Garden all rolled into one. Had a beautiful sun set and then headed on the bus back to the airport for the next flight to San Salvador. As i arrived in San Salvador had the beginnings of the South American feel although there was still a Subway sandwich shop there. Had a couple of hours there but couldn't leave the airport lounge but at 9 in the morning the heat of the sun had begun and as i boarded the next plane for Lima i could really feel the heat. Was really lucky on the last plane enjoying a whole row to myself and getting some more sleep to help me catch up. Mark who i was staying with had warned me the immigration could take a while when i arrived so i approached the desk expecting the worst but as soon as i said i knew someone here was just waved on through which was great but then i stood waiting for my bag to come through.
I hadn't really trusted the system which had meant i hadn't seen my bag since Los Angeles and as i stood and waited, and waited, and waited i realised that my bag was not on the plane. I spoke to one of the baggage people who didnt fill me with confidence and filled in a form while they explained to me that even though my bag wasnt on there system they may still get it on the next flight in the evening from San Salvador. So as i walked through the gate and met Mark i had nothing but the clothes on my back and the small carry on bag with all my valuables and a couple of books, I guess not much less than some of the people i'll be meeting and working with whilst i'm here.
Still am here safely and hoping the bag system wont totally fail me.

No comments: